A general retort to some arguments circulating in fandom at present
Content note: deals with fandom discourse; "You" throughout this screed is very much used in the general plural, rather than the individual specific. This came about as a response to a long thread on Twitter; I'm moving it here because I think Dreamwidth (and blogging in general) is a bit more suited to long-form thought and discussion than Twitter will ever be.
( Essay under the fold )
This entry was originally posted at https://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/145677.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Selections from my AO3 fic list as an album.
Meme snagged from muccamukk
This is very much "Disc One: All My Greatest Hits" here
1. The popular, catchy one: Rainy Day in Radiant Garden (Kingdom Hearts-verse, Leon/Cloud) - This one is the one which has the most hits on my stats on AO3, so I think it probably fits the bill. More "slice of life" than actual slash.
2. The obscure early one no one bought at the time: Mutants (X-Men) - A look at the sorts of mutations which don't grant superpowers, and the ways people try to survive them.
3. The "experimental" one, written when you were possibly on some substance: Paying the Price - Prologues 1 and 2 (Pirates of the Caribbean). This was a bit of an experiment in writing the same story two ways, and trying to get working on a bit of PWP (this was all the plot, the porn was going to come later). The PWP didn't materialised, and eventually I published these two prologues rather than having them knock around on my hard drive forever and a fortnight.
4. The sl
uashy one: Purity: A Smutfic in Four Acts (FF7). I don't usually write explicit stuff, mostly because I'm just not that good at getting into the right frame of mind for things. This is one of the rare exceptions to the rule, and is another of the most popular pieces I've written.
5. The brash, loud one, mid album: Bad Jokes (LOTR) - On the road with the Fellowship, as a couple of the nine walkers start swapping bad jokes to keep their spirits up.
6. The one born of your depressive introspection: Mary Mordor Sue (LOTR). This one could fit in about three categories, but I'll put it here, because it was written when I was in a rather bad depressive spot.
7. The bitter one about your ex/former manager/cat: Nesa Conway's Notes for New Staff (FF7 Crisis Core) - this one counts mainly because when I wrote it I was bitter about not having been employed for about a decade.
8. The one only you like, you insular weirdo: Do Not Go Gently - A crossover between "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "El Mariachi". I liked the idea of bringing Jack Sparrow forward into the present-day world,
9. The genre-hopping crossover hit: A Laundry-Verse A to Z (Laundryverse) - Crossing over Charles Stross's "Laundryverse" series with kids A to Z books. Sparked by a comment thread on his blog - someone else had the idea, I just grabbed the ball and ran with it.
10. The one where you tried to be "modern": Remediation (FF7, FF7: Crisis Core) - Because I was trying something experimental when writing for uni, and I was able to get away with writing fanfic as assessable material. Aka the one where the author notes are longer than the fic and have their own separate chapter.
11. The anthemic final track: Coffee Habit (FF7, Cloud/Zack) - the Coffee Shop AU fic, because why the hell, I had to write one.
[this is something I added myself] 12. The secret bonus track: (From the FF7 Anonymous Kink Meme)
 Reference is to a track by Barenaked Ladies, "My New Box Set"
This entry was originally posted at https://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/131852.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Meg's Fanfiction Likes and Dislikes - Male Pregnancy, aka Mpreg
This is another one I'm not fond of. Mostly because of the sheer level of biological ignorance the writers generally demonstrate.
I should give some background here. My mother was trained as a midwife, and by the time I was twelve, I was reading her old midwifery textbooks (for want of anything more interesting in the house). I also had a strong interest in human anatomy and physiology and how people worked from early childhood. So, I know a bit more about the ways that pregnancies can go right and wrong than the average punter. It leaves me with more than a few prejudices in the matter, and it means for me, mpreg requires a far greater degree of suspension of disbelief than usual.
( Essay below fold )
The best mpreg fics I've seen are the ones which basically take the position it's a stupid premise to begin with, and run with the sheer crackfic comedy of the whole notion of conception in the first place. In Final Fantasy VII, there's tirsynni's Always Use Protection, which basically takes things a cracky step further and winds up with a cross-species pregnancy induced by tentacle sex (by which point it's clear the whole thing is not intended to make any sense whatsoever, and the author is just writing for the giggles); there's also mystiri1's The Family Way, which addresses the whole question of where the egg comes from, and how it gets into the male person in the first place (and is equally cracky by the end).
In conclusion, I should point out this is why I don't like mpreg, and generally won't read it unless it also comes with the "crackfic" tag attached. I'm not saying other people shouldn't write it, read it, or like it, but again, if you're sharing a fandom with me (Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Marvel Cinematic Universe), please, please tag and warn on this one - or failing that, do your research, do comprehensive research, and start your research by ignoring the romance of pregnancy as delivered via the advertising industry.
This entry was originally posted at https://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/112208.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Meg's Fanfic Likes And Dislikes - Alpha/Beta/Omega Dynamics
I'll come right out and say I'm not fond of this one unless it's done particularly well and with a lot of thought involved.
( Essay below fold )
Now, all of the above are basically the reasons why I don't read A/B/O - I'm not trying to dictate to anyone else, and I'm not going to attempt to stop anyone else from either reading or writing A/B/O fic. If you do write it in any of the fandoms I'm reading in (Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Marvel Cinematic Universe) the most I'd ask is you label it clearly, perform your research, and do your world-building properly.
[EDIT 6.42pm WST (GMT+8) 28 JAN 2018: I was reminded of another A/B/O fic I can handle. See my comment below for details.]
This entry was originally posted at https://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/111804.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
FFVII High-Definition Remake: A Wish List
Context: Australian, female, forties, fan since first seeing the game on my brother's Playstation back in 1997, own and have played the original Playstation version of the game (played on my PS2), Dirge of Cerberus (PS2) and Crisis Core (PSP), plus the PC re-vamp of FFVII with the MS-Paint mouths on the characters (on the PC, natch!). I also own both KH1 and KH2, as well as the original Dissidia, and a copy of Advent Children. I write Final Fantasy VII fanfiction (you can find them here on AO3). I don't currently own a PS4, but I'd certainly consider buying one (or a new gaming-quality PC) in order to play this remake if it's any good.
Dear Square Enix,
I have apparently been a very good girl this year, since you're planning to remake Final Fantasy VII with high definition graphics for the PS4. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just the news alone is enough to make me squee and bounce in my chair making happy noises. As a long-time fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, and also of the Final Fantasy VII franchise itself, I offer the following suggestions. (Consider these a wish-list).
( Details under the fold )
I can't full express how much I'm looking forward to this re-make, but it's currently a re-make I'm looking forward to with somewhat mixed feelings. Please, don't let the prevailing trends of 2015 affect the way you re-make a game which was brilliant in 1997, and which can still hold its own even today. The core of Final Fantasy VII for me was always the stories and the characters - never the visual effects. Please don't lose this core while you're adding in the visuals.
Megpie71 (aka Meg).
PS: If you put Cloud in a pink wig in the Wall Market drag scene, I shall not be impressed. Please don't cheat and re-use your Lightning skins in that one, okay?
This entry was originally posted at http://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/54527.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
I snagged this particular meme from raisedbymoogles
You know that meme that goes around sometimes where you post your five favourite kinks and then five favourite couples, and it's like a wish into the universe to see if anybody will write it for you? Let's make it a little more interactive.
Comment here if you want to play, and I will give you 3-6 couples that I associate with you, and you make an entry in your journal talking about those couples and fics that you wish the universe would write for you.
She prompted me with three individuals, since, as she said, "I'm not sure what pairings you're into."
( So here goes: )
This entry was originally posted at http://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/51671.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
About the "Requires Hate" thing
[WTF are you on about?]
( Under fold for length )
This entry was originally posted at http://megpie71.dreamwidth.org/48086.html. Please comment there using OpenID.